Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Reading Diary A: Italian Popular Tales

For this week, I read the Italian Popular Tales unit. I really enjoyed this unit, as I spent the last two summers in Italy, so it has a special place in my heart.

When I read the first story, Zelinda and the Monster, I was immediately reminded of Beauty and the Beast. This version of the story is very beautiful, and I loved the details the story provided about the monster and how Zelinda came to stay with him. I really liked how well the story came together. The sisters kind of reminded me of the stepsisters from Cinderella at first, so I thought it might be a rendition of that story. So I was pleasantly surprised when it was a Beauty and the Beast-type story.

Another story I really loved was The Man, the Serpent, and the Fox. I loved a story about a fox, imagine that. But really, this story was a perfect demonstration of how the fox is a trickster, and I was glad to see that he helped out the huntsman. I was worried after the second judge how the huntsman would fare, I thought the fox might be vindictive, but I was happy with the ending as it happened.
The clever fox

No comments:

Post a Comment