Friday, April 10, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Celtic Fairy Tales

For this week, I finished the Celtic Fairy Tales unit, which I still found to be pretty strange. The first story in the second half of the unit, King O’Toole and His Goose, started out pretty normally, but the end of the story was very bizarre, and I’m still not entirely sure I understand it. I was glad that King O’Toole made the right decision in his dealings with Saint Kavin, as I could see it going very badly if he’d done something differently. It kind of reminded me of the prince’s ordeal in Beauty and the Beast, but in this case, the king made the right call. The goose was a little weird though.

The story of Beth Gellert was just a tragedy. Finding out you killed the dog that saved your son from a wolf? Talk about a tear-jerker. I was just so incredibly saddened that Gellert had died when it was discovered that he saved the prince’s son. It certainly seemed that he was the culprit at first, but the prince’s haste in killing Gellert prevented him from seeing what had actually happened. I can only imagine how terrible he felt after acting so swiftly. To me, this was one of the few stories in this unit that had an actual moral to learn from the storyline.

(The prince's son. Illustration by John D. Batten. 1892)

No comments:

Post a Comment