Thursday, April 16, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Italian Popular Tales

For this week, I finished the Italian Popular Tales unit. I absolutely loved the story of Buchettino, who is a wily little boy. I was so shocked that he so easily tricked the ogre not once, but twice! I could easily imagine a charming little Italian boy playing tricks like Buchettino did. I thought the onomatopoeia that was included when the ogre came crashing down on the dishes he was climbing was a lovely addition. It made the story seem like your mom or your grandma was telling it to you.

Another story that I really enjoyed was An Incident in Rome. I loved how this story incorporated the most Italian of traditions, the Papacy of the Roman Catholic Church. It was an interesting addition to the story of Pontius Pilate, who left Jesus’s fate to the pharisees. I felt bad that Master Carter turned to stone after the Pope read what was written on him. I didn’t think that was fair since he was the one to volunteer to see what was down there. The fate of Pilate was certainly interesting, since he didn’t condemn Jesus directly, but also knew that he would be killed at the hands of the Jewish leadership.




A photo I took in Piazza Navona in Rome last summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment